It has been almost 2 months since I have first started publishing videos on YouTube and get to understand the platform better.
My first impressions are:
- It is a jungle out there, even if you have the best content ever, chances are, your videos will be missed big time since there are millions of channels.
- I believe that over 90% of the channels are created by people with no real clue about what is going on. A lot of children (even under 10 years old) are publishing their content, even things which should not be shared publicly. It makes me wonder where are their parents…
- A lot of people are trying to exploit the YouTube platform, for money benefits of course, I am not trying to be xenophobic but a lot of them are coming from Russia. There are channels with thousands of subscribers but no videos posted – isn’t this a red flag for YouTube?
- Making money online starting from scratch, especially on YouTube, is a mirage, you are better off working on a conventional job. If you are trying to succeed out there, your mission should be to learn new skills like video editing, communication, lighting, filming, etc., not making money. Prepare for a very long run.
- Video editing can be costly, if you will use apps like Adobe Premiere Pro or Photoshop CC your return of investment will have to wait a long time. Of course there is cheaper software, but you will not have the same results like with the one mentioned;
- There are also a great deal of channels which are trying to encourage you or teach you how to succeed on YouTube, please read the community opinion on them, also, they before jumping to take their advice, have a look at the success on their channel and how they apply themselves the teachings. It is not a rule that a big channel is always right.
- Making your first REAL 100 / 200 / 500 subscribers is just hardcore…
Quick updates about my channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAmE2TXadPvh2Jtk9RWOgfw (Meisio, music & ambience from World of Warcraft)
Current number of subscribers: 191, a raise of 19 subscribers in 3 weeks from 172.
Current number of views: 1764. It means that in 3 weeks I have made 635 views (from which probably 30-40% are mine).
Number of new videos published in the 3 weeks period: 11.
There are many other metrics which I can compare, but I don’t think I can make a point by doing this at the moment.
- I must have more patience, the results on YouTube are definitely on a long term. I am still waiting for a breakthrough, for a revelation.
- I have definitely improved but the progress seems to be really small. The real improvement is skill wise, my video editing skills are beginning to be decent.
Thank you and I will see you soon.